Perhaps it’s my age, or my status as a parent and educator, or as a California resident that is dealing with extreme drought, but I want to figure out how I can do more to reduce my impact on the environment and be more eco-friendly.
I follow nearly all the guidelines that so-called environmental experts put forth:
- Go paperless/digital where you can
- Eat more fruits and vegetables that are locally sourced and less meat
- Use reusable bags, not plastic
- Donate gently used clothes and toys to charity
- Recycle plastics, aluminum and glass (and whatever else your local recycler will take)
- Consume less, borrow more
- Cut water waste by using a filter for drinking instead of buying bottled, installing a low-flow toilet, etc.
I know there are more ways that I could be doing my part and setting an example for the little monkey so that Earth is still around for her to inhabit – though re-watching Interstellar this weekend has reminded me that we might have already reached the tipping point and that she might have to set off for Kepler-186f.
Does this weigh on everyone’s mind as much as it does mine? What do you do to feel like you’re part of the solution?
For more on the A to Z Challenge, please go HERE.
Stay tuned during the month of April to see what other subjects I want to explore…I’ll return to my senses on May 1.